Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Gluten-Free Ginger Pumpkin Bread and Biscotti

One of my favorite recipes from Gluten-Free Goddess is her pumpkin bread. If found the original recipe a little too sweet so I modified it to be less sweet. One day I decided to add some ginger to the recipe and OMG it became the most amazing dessert-like bread ever!

The pumpkin bread turns out very moist and almost melts in your mouth. If you somehow don't eat the whole bread in one sitting you might be in a little trouble. There's no preservatives in the bread and the bread goes bad in a day or two since it's so moist. So one day I thought, well what if I dehydrate my bread? Guess what you've basically got biscotti or "twice-baked bread". With a dehyrdrator you don't have to worry about burning your bread either and you get really really crispy biscotti.

The recipe works very well in bread maker with rapid bake settings, but you can bake the bread in the oven too. My parents bought me this bread maker for Christmas a couple years back since gluten-free bread costs nearly 4x that of normal bread. I decided to splurge on my purchase of a dehydrator. What can I say? I love my kale chips. Both of these machines are great and totally worth their price!

Ginger Pumpkin Bread
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 1 cup of pumpkin puree
    • I use Libby's canned pumpkin
  • 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract or bourbon vanilla extract
  • 1 cups of flour
    • 1/4 cup flax mill
    • 3/4 cup of sorghum and amaranth flour
  • 1/2 cup of arrow root flour
    • tapioca and potato starch work too
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt or table salt
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg 
    • or pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1/2 tsp of ground ginger 
  • Liquid as needed
    • Almond milk

Add ingredients to bread maker in order listed above. Add just enough liquid so that the ingredients mix evenly and mixture is smooth. 

Press rapid bake for a 2 lb loaf with light to medium crust. Let cool on drying rack. 

Alternatively mix wet then dry ingredients together and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

To make biscotti  you can thinly slice the cooled bread and place in the dehyrdator for 8-12 hours at 125 F. 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment