Sunday, January 26, 2014

The new blog and a little about me

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2011 at the age of 22, and I am extremely sensitive to gluten even by celiac standards. I essentially have a certified gluten free life. Most of the products and ingredients that I use on this website are either certified gluten free, generally assumed to be gluten free (e.g. fresh fruits and vegetables), or I have found through trial-and-error to be gluten free.

I do a lot of cooking from scratch (i.e. single component ingredients), and I thought I would share my recipes with everyone. Like many of you, I have come across many  gluten-free products and recipes that taste awful, use excessive sugar to compensate for flavor, or are extremely lacking nutrition (e.g. lots and lots of starch). Many of the recipes I present here will be packed full of nutrition but may not be low in calories. If you're watching your calories use your best judgement!

I highly recommend you check out one of the best gluten free blogs: the Gluten Free Goddess Blog (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/). Some of the recipes I post here are derivatives from her blog.

For those who live in the Seattle are, there are 2 great gluten free places to eat out at: The Flying Apron and Capitol Cider. While The Flying Apron is a certified gluten free facility, Capitol Cider is not. However, all of Capitol Cider's hard ciders are gluten free, and their kitchen is 100% gluten free. I have not had a problem with anything I've eaten there, and I'm very very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. I've also ordered pizza from Jet City Pizza (http://www.jetcitypizza.com/) without any problems; Jet City Pizza has a dedicated, accredited gluten free facility.

Of course please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding my recipes, gluten free cooking, or a gluten free lifestyle. I know how hard it is to have  to change a lot of things in your life to accommodate celiac's disease.

I am current getting my PhD in neuroscience. It should be no surprise then that I have been living in ~400 sq ft apartments for the past few years. Thus, my kitchens will probably be relatively small compared to some of yours. I have decent number of cooking tools and utensils, but I may not have the fanciest stuff so please bear this in mind. Also on that note, I apologize for my poor photography skills.; most pictures will be taken with my 8 MP phone camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment